We FINALLY got our memory foam bed in… It took forever to get here, but all I can say is that patience is a virtue – and we definitely got to practice it while we eagerly awaited the mattress’s arrival!
Originally, I had grand ideas on what we would do for the bed frame. I wanted a beautiful solid wood platform bed so badly; I even found a free plan online and everything. But I had to stop and be practical… It didn’t make sense for us to make that right now. We are in Washington, in an apartment, and will likely be moving within the next two years or so. The more I thought about it the more it became a bad idea for us to make the platform bed. Then I was simply lost on where to go next. We had a King size bed on it’s way – just no bed frame… So, I went to Pinterest! 🙂
The next plan of attack? Simply add legs to your box spring! *Thank goodness for Pinterest!* The bummer though was that original pin went to a dead site, so it made me brain storm somewhat. I thought it would be easy – that’s usually where I run into trouble and see Blair rolling his eyes at me (lovingly, of course!) – and in the end, it was in fact quite easy. Yay for a Pinterest idea going easily! 😀
We bought our box springs off of Craigslist… sounds shady, trust me I know… but I found someone who was selling their’s for only $60 still in it’s original packaging – never opened! Score! And, honestly, you’d be surprised at how many people are selling their brand new box springs on Craigslist. Most of them seem to buy platform beds and no longer need them. Just make sure they come from a smoke and pet free home!
Click on the photos below give for some more details, but basically all we did was:
- Screw Heavy Duty Top Plates to each of the box spring’s corners. *We have a split box spring so we used eight of these.*
- Twist the Legs into the plates. *Make sure you use sturdy legs that can hold weight. The ones we used can hold 200 lbs. each.*
- Put your bed on top!
*If you have a King sized bed, you consider getting a block of wood to place in between the center of the two box springs to support the middle section of the bed.*
Since we were kind of rushing when we put this together, I didn’t paint or stain the legs. At the moment, it doesn’t bother me that they are unfinished, but I’ll probably paint them down the road.
In the end, it cost us around $110 to do this project and about 30 minutes from start to finish. I’m in love with it and can’t wait till Blair is home from the field to be able to enjoy it too! Until then, I’m sure I’ll try to take up the entire king size bed – if that is even possible!
The next To Do on the bed is to cover the box springs with fabric so they can’t be seen! I’m using canvas drop cloths, so stay tuned for that post!
P.S. Check out Pretty Pegs for cute furniture legs too! They are a little bit expensive for my taste, but definitely gave me some ideas for what I could do to our’s later on!