Seriously Fresh & Seriously Yummy!
Blair and I have been trying to gradually switch our eating style over to Paleo – a.k.a. primal, caveman diet, no grain. So far it’s been an amazing lifestyle change and one that we both have been excited to dive deeper into the more we are on it!
My only complaint right off bat was no sugar. Instantly I thought that meant no more cakes, ice cream, brownies, cookies and so on. The little fatty in me was devastated!
However, the more I read and studied what Paleo is really about, I’ve found that I can still enjoy the natural sweets God has given to us! That’s when I got to experimenting and made my first homemade all natural sorbet! A super yummy treat that cures my sweet tooth, while still being healthy! The steps are below!
- 4 cups of Berries *I used some fresh and frozen berries I had on hand – strawberries, raspberries and blueberries
- Water *1/3 for the berry mixture and 1 cup for the simple syrup recipe
- 1 Cup of Honey
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup of water and 1 cup of honey to create a natural simple syrup. Mix together on low/medium heat until both are combined, then place in a separate container to cool. *Don’t let it boil!
- Using either a food processor or blender, mix together the berries and 1/3 cup of water until well blended.
- Filter out the seeds by placing a sieve into a bowl and pouring the mixture on top of it. *This may require some work to make sure you get all of the juice! I just used a coffee filter to do this job.
- Add 1 cup of your simple syrup mixture to the berry juice (there should be about 2 cups of that after filtering it). *Play with the amount of simple syrup you add. 1 cup may be too much or too little for your taste!
- Let the mixture chill for an hour or so.
- Put into your ice cream maker and get to freezing! *Make sure to follow the instructions for your particular ice cream maker. Mine took 30 minutes to properly chill and set up.
- Place in an airtight container and keep it in the freezer!
I’m excited to play with even more versions of this – today I saw a strawberry lime sorbet on Pinterest! Sounds heavenly to me!