Packing Up and Moving Out.
This part of a PCS is probably the most calming for me, because I’m dealing with things I know. This is time to organize, throw away any junk and clean! So pop a DVD, or two, or three, into the player and get to packing!
Here are Some Packing Tips to Help You Out!
- Start packing the little stuff first. Knick-knacks, pictures, art on the wall – Dust it off and pack it up! *Head to U-Haul and pick up packing paper. Make sure to use it liberally!
- Pack well. *Remember you are not moving across town with a PCS. Boxes should be packed tightly, yet not overpacked. The right size box for the right stuff works wonders!
- Go to the Dollar Tree and get Color Coding Labels. *These colored dots make it easy to tell what boxes are for what room.
- Go tape happy when securing the boxes! *I promise you won’t be sorry! Even try using masking tape on mirrors or picture frame glass – this gives the fragile object a little more support during the move.
- If you have extra time, number the boxes and write the contents down on a Packing List. *This way you can make sure no boxes were lost during the move if the military is moving you. And if one was lost, what the contents inside them were.
- Leave the kitchen and bathroom for last. *Your family will be thankful they can still make something to eat!
- Plan ahead outfits to keep out and rotate washing. *This will keep you out of digging through your boxes a couple days later. Trust me – I was one of those box diggers and wished I had just planned out my outfits! Remember to wear moving clothes – not sundresses! *Guilty*
- Give yourself enough time to be able to clean your house/apartment before you leave. *Plan ahead!
Important Paperwork & Things to Keep On Hand
- Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificate
- Social Security Cards, Passports
- IDs for anyone over the age of 10
- Car information (registration, insurance, car title)
- School, Employment, Pet and Bank Records
- Medicine that is currently being taken and extras like Benadryl, ibuprofen, etc.
- Checkbooks *To avoid any identity theft!
- A Packing List *This is just for you to stay organized!
And probably the #1 thing to keep on hand during a move…
- The Official Orders
Most of these are common sense, but dealing with a PCS can be stressful, so keep a check list for yourself to stay on track!