Seize the day. A while back I headed over to hang out with one of my best friends. Now Molly isn’t any typical best friend – she might as well be my sister and, in fact, I consider her just that. She’s always up for anything. Want to drive? She’s down. Go get fries and a chocolate shake? She’s in her old truck before I know it. Do something crafty with me? She is always there to be my helping hand. So this day was special.
It was beautiful outside; the corn field was bright green with new growth and the sky had the most perfect clouds floating around it. I was instantly inspired and wanted to make something to remember the day – or rather seize the day. So Molly and I decided to make a burlap banner. While those are pretty popular right now, ours ending up being a little different (Just like us. 😉 ) We didn’t want straight perfect edges or the seam of the burlap flags to fold perfectly over the twine. We wanted it to be bold, crisp and bright.
To get just that, we started with all of our supplies:
- 2 yards of cream colored Burlap (how much will really depend on what your banner will say or how long you want it)
- A flag stencil (make a triangle like shape onto a plain piece of printer paper then trace onto cardboard and cut it out)
- Parchment paper
- Printed out letters (make sure they are the size and font that you want!)
- Scissors/Exacto knife
- Scotch tape
- Acrylic paint (we used gold and loved it)
- Foam brush
- A roll of twine (again, how much depends on how long your banner ends up being)
- Hot glue gun
Just remember to have fun and not stress about it being perfect. After all, it’s homemade – not a cookie cutter buy from the store!